Yakima’s Barge-Chestnut Neighborhood Closed To Traffic On Halloween
With over 1,000 trick-or-treaters expected to descend upon the Barge-Chestnut neighborhood in Yakima, city officials and police are taking measures to ensure the safety of all.
Some roads will be closed completely while others will have restrict automobile traffic starting late the afternoon of the 31st and continuing through mid-evening.
The city of Yakima explained the measures in a news release:
– Electronic reader boards will be in place to alert drivers that Yakima Avenue from 18th Avenue to 32nd Avenue will be closed that day from 5:00 pm until 8:00 pm. The reader boards will also direct Trick-or-Treat drivers to available parking sites.
– The westbound lanes of Chestnut Avenue between 18th Avenue and 26th Avenue will be closed from 5:00 pm until 8:00 pm. People who live in the neighborhood can drive their cars into the area from Tieton Drive using 26th Avenue.
– “No Parking” signs will be in place along the south side of Chestnut Avenue between 26th Avenue and 32nd Avenue. One-way, westbound traffic will be allowed along that section of Chestnut and parking will be allowed along the north side of that section of Chestnut.
– “No Parking” signs will be in place along the west side of 32nd Avenue between Chestnut Avenue and Barge Street.
– “No Parking” signs will be in place along the north side of Barge Street between 26th Avenue and 32nd Avenue. One-way, eastbound traffic will be allowed along that section of Barge and parking will be allowed along the south side of that section of Barge. Barge will also be closed at 26th Avenue and eastbound traffic on Barge will be rerouted north on 26th toward Summitview Avenue.
– People living in the area will still be able to access their homes via Tieton Drive and Summitview Avenue using Gilbert Drive, 22nd Avenue, 23rd Avenue, 28th Avenue and 30th Avenue. Drivers should be prepared for slow moving traffic and a large number of people walking on foot through the area.
City of Yakima parking enforcement staff will be patrolling the Barge-Chestnut neighborhood area during the evening of October 31st to ensure compliance with the parking restrictions that will be in place at that time.
For additional information about street closures and other traffic restrictions in the Barge-Chestnut neighborhood on October 31st should contact Streets and Traffic Operations Manager Joe Rosenlund at 576-6430.